Saturday, March 24, 2012

Forgive My Fins

Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Pages: 293 pages
Rate: 10 out of 10

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you're a normal teenage girl, but when you're half human, half mermaid, like Lily, there's no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily's mermaid identity is a secret that can't get out, since she's not just any mermaid- she's a Thalassinain princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn't feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she's been living on land and going to Seaview High School ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems- like her obnoxious biker-boy neighbor, Quince Fletcher- but it has that one major perk: Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren't really the casual dating type- the instant they "bond", it's for life.
When Lily's attempt to win Brody's love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily ever after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs is about Lily Sanderson, a young girl who is half mermaid, half human. Lily decided she was going to go live on land with her Aunt Rachel when she was fifteen, but when she got on land, she fell in love with Brody Bennett. After three years of loving him from afar, Lily has decided that she wants to spend the rest of her life with him, but when her neighbor, Quince, does something unexpected, everything turns for the worst and Lily gets put into a situation that she never thought she would be in.

This novel is purely amazing. I loved it and I cannot wait to read the second novel, Fins are Forever. This book kept me guessing. I had predicted what would happen in the end, but it turns out that what I was guessing would happen really didn't happen. I enjoyed the fishy terminology (instead of using profanity, she would say "carp" or call someone a "blowfish"). I also liked that I had such feelings for the characters; I loved Lily and Quince, but absolutely disliked Dosinia. I think that when a novel can make you have such strong feelings for somebody who is made up, you can tell it is an amazing novel.

I would definitely read this novel again sometime, and I would recommend it to anybody who loves realistic novels about un-real things (but who said mermaids weren't real?). I gave this novel a ten out of ten because I loved it. I just loved it. I don't think I should even have to explain anymore. I will be reading the second novel, Fins are Forever, as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment